Friday, 10 July 2020

Hare, Sewing and Snakes

It is World Watercolor Month but I've not done as much painting this week as I normally do.

I've been sewing and I made another baby tunic top, the flowery part was a fat quarter
and I altered the white one because it was a bit short

I bought a few dressmaking patterns for myself seeing that I quite enjoyed doing these [some of the time]. I did a mock up of one from an old sheet, it looked dreadful. I remember now why I stopped dressmaking - the patterns never fit me properly.

Also this week I drew lots of snakes and coloured them with markers because

there was a contest at Spoonflower for Brightly Coloured Reptiles. I put them together on the computer and spent ages trying to get the repeat pattern working right which I eventually did and the result was this [showing 4 repeats]

Unfortunately I missed the deadline for the contest!

It's Paint Party Friday and one of my designs from last week is featured on their check in page, 
thank you PPF. Hope everyone has a great week.

Sunday, 5 July 2020


It's World Watercolour Month!

There are some prompts on Doodlewash for July but I decided to do my own thing for this one. I found a photo in a magazine which I copied.

Day 2 - Texture

Day 3 Playful

Day 4 Quiet

Day 5 Favourite Colour - I couldn't decide, I like a lot of colours. I do like blues, purples and greens together so I thought I would paint with those. I used a candle on the paper to start with although I couldn't see what I'd done until I painted over it [I would have left it off if I'd seen what it looked like]. I used watercolour for the background and gouache for the leafy bits.

Friday, 3 July 2020

The Long and Winding Road and Portrait

Drawn on my android tablet

I added a photo of a Audrey the cat

then I tried a drawing of a bird

I had another go with acrylic paints. I quite like it but it's not a great likeness.

Tuesday, 30 June 2020

Doodlewash and Baby Tops

All the June prompts for Doodlewash. The top right got spoilt after an accident with water.


Tigers Eye


I've also done some more sewing this week. I made some tops for the baby, she's one.

Unfortunately they are a bit short, she must have grown a lot in the last few months. I'll be able to alter the white one but not the pink one but that one is slightly longer.

Friday, 26 June 2020

Cranes and Doodlewash

WIP - I've started work on a picture of cranes for an embroidery. I drew the pictures digitally, printed them out and as the design is bigger than the A4 paper I had to join several sheets together. Then I transferred the design to fabric by using a light box and a Pilot Frixion Erasable Gel Ink Pen. The pen lines can be ironed off if they have not been covered up by embroidery.

Also on the theme of cranes, I used the same birds for a Spoonflower fabric design and added a digitally altered watercolour background. I entered the design into their weekly contest, I came 491st out of 769 designs and received 32 votes. The winner got 393 votes!

The design showing a single repeat and below as a repeating pattern.





Part of the A3 page

Happy Paint Party Friday

Tuesday, 23 June 2020

Cherry Blossom and Doodlewash

My son and daughter-in-law bought me some acrylic paints for my birthday so I had a go with them. I found instructions on the internet for this.

Back to watercolours and Doodlewash





Part of the full page showing the cake stand. I had an accident with some water at the top of the page so the green pepper got spoilt.

Friday, 19 June 2020

Doodlewash and Gelli Prints



Playing Cards

I followed instruction from isoiationartschool on instagram for the follwing picture created on a gelli plate with string. Mine doesn't look as good as theirs. It's supposed to look like flowers

I had paint left over so I coloured some paper to use for collage maybe. I made marks in the paint with some things made of plastic, rubber and a handmade rabbit stamp.

When I first put the paint on it just kept separating like this which is quite a nice effect sometimes but usually I want the plate covered properly. I'm wondering if its because the paints are not the best.
Happy Paint Party Friday!