The Illustration Friday challenge is 'Jagged'
Friday, 30 January 2015
Thursday, 29 January 2015
The badger picture is finished. He's at the entrance of his set, a hole in a large tree surrounded by all kinds of flowers and vegetation. I first drew this badger in a sketchbook for the 'sketchbook project' which is now at the Brooklyn Art Library, USA.
I used inktense pencils to colour with, you can add water to make into ink but I decided to leave them dry. I used a second coat on top of the first to add a bit more colour. The picture was drawn onto canvas fabric and after giving it a couple of coats of fixative I wrapped it around a ready made canvas frame. Size 20"x 16"
Wednesday, 28 January 2015
Tuesday, 27 January 2015
Monday, 26 January 2015
I was having a bit of a sort out the other day and came across these which I made in 2012. They are coasters, an experiment. I collaged papers to a spare bit of vinyl flooring I had and topped with acrylic wax. I put them away because cups were sticking to them so when you picked a cup up the coaster came too. Well I've tried them again and they don't seem so bad after all this time.
I used an old map for this one, I used to live in Durham.
I coloured the edge with a stamp pad.
Some of the vinyl flooring had a pattern with squares of the right size. I didn't go right to the edge with the decoupage for these six coasters, I used the flooring pattern as edging.
Friday, 23 January 2015
This is for the Illustration Friday challenge - passion. It's been a while since I last entered. The background is one of the gelli prints I did last week. The heart is from a card I did, it's textured with gold stitching around the edge [which you cannot see now unless you look very closely]. The fish were drawn on my tablet.
Thursday, 22 January 2015
I printed more fabric and this time I used my old roller stamps (tutorial for roller stamps) to make the marks.
It was on plain white cotton and coloured with liquitex inks mixed with fabric medium. I rinsed them out and the colours stayed in but the fabric is very stiff.
On the yellow sample piece one end is motley, this is because I tried something else at that end for the background colour (Adirondack colour wash) [which I sprayed on last] but it came out really orangey which I didn't like so I tried rinsing it out.
I started embroidery stitching on the blue fabric, but I'm not sure how much I will do as it's so stiff and makes my fingers sore.
Wednesday, 21 January 2015
Tuesday, 20 January 2015
This is something I started in December and I'd done quite a bit of the drawing in pencil on a canvas fabric. I recently finished the drawing and am filling in colour with inktense pencils. My intention was to add water to make a more ink like effect but I'm wondering if it will become a muddy mess and lose all the pencil marks. I quite like it in the pencil state but I don't have the right grey for the main part of the badgers body. I could make a grey ink if I combined colours together though. Decisions, decisions....
Monday, 19 January 2015
This is one of the texture plates that I used with the gelli plate written about on my last post. I wasn't overly keen on the fabric I produced but I do love the look of this texture plate.
And it did inspire me to create a repeating fabric..
this is the same as the first one with altered colours.
I think I prefer it in pink.
Sunday, 18 January 2015
I decided to spend some time doing gelli prints to try and get myself motivated. I want to do something with embroidery on it but I'm not sure what.
All the above are printed on fabric and the ones below on paper.
Non of them inspire me.